Feb 9, 2009

Something is in the air here in Kingman!

Well where to start? I feel like probably a lot of other mom's here in Kingman right now that have sick children! My heart goes out to all of you (you know who guys are :)) Anyways..this past Saturday Bentley woke up at 1:06 am which NEVER happens seriously and was crying harder than usual, but gasping for air inbetween too. I new right away that he was coming down with something. I rocked him for a minute and then layed him back down and he slept until 8 that morning. He woke up though with labored breathing and was running a fever and lethargic. I immediately started him on Albuterol breathing treatments (thank heavens I have the machine) hoping to prevent his lungs from getting any worse and also to clear up whatever was going on down in them. I gave him Tylenol for his fever which broke after a few hours.

This routine went on all day he didn't do much of anything just layed on Nick and I and drank maybe a cup of liquids (not a lot). I debated taking him to the Urgent Care here or the ER, but didn't really want to do either. I said a prayer that he would get feeling better and went on with our nightly routine. As the night came things were getting worse...he didn't sleep but maybe 5 hours total which means mom didn't either.

Sunday morning same things as Saturday. Weezing, cough started, runny nose, throwing up, fever etc etc. I kept asking Nick should I take him in ... he said let's just watch him. I was getting worried because the week before some of our good friends had there little boy in the hospital for a couple of days with similar symptoms turning out to be RSV. I didn't want Bentley to end up there. I asked her what they were doing there for her little guy and they were giving him some med's for his lungs, breathing treatments, tylenol and motrin for his fever and obviously and IV for fluids. I thought to myself I am already doing two of those four things and Bentley is at least drinking some. But I still worried if he needed an antibiotic for any symptoms (I.e. ear infection etc) because you can't treat RSV with meds because it is a virus. Well he continued about the same through out the day only napping a little and coughing so hard that he was throwing up constantly. O and I had to call Nick home from work to watch him so that I could at least go teach my YW the third hour of church.

The night was miserable for Bentley and a little for me. I just felt so helpless. for him. I was doing all that I could do though. Then when this morning (mon) came and he wasn't making to much progress so I decided I was going to take him somewhere no matter what anyone said lol (nick) haha. Most of you know that our awesome doc for Bentley lives in St. George and so far haven't had any problems making up there for all of his visits, but today was different. I called a friend who gave me a number to a pediatrician here in Kingman and I called there office and lucky enough they got us right in yay! O not to mention it's been snowing here all day so I didn't want to take him out in it but this was becoming urgent.

2:45 we were off to the doctor! I bundled my lil guy up the best I could and carried him in. He threw up from coughing hard on the way there and cried the whole time in the waiting room. They were very fast and prompt and got us right back. Bentley had a low grade fever (he was on Tylenol) and weighed 23 lbs. The nurse said the doc would be right in, sure enough right after she went out he came in.

Long office visit made short...he was diagnosed with a right ear infection, pneumonia and possible RSV :( He did say that I was doing the right thing by starting his breathing treatments three days before and that I was giving him liquids and tylenol. He prescribed us some meds and told me to observe him over the next 24 hours to see how he was doing with the liquid thing. If he doesn't drink any or continues to throw up he might need to be admitted for an IV. So I am praying that he will drink for me and that the meds along with the treatments will better him quickly!

So should have I taken him in earlier??? Probably, but I didn't so here we are trying to nurse our little boy back to health. We are suppose to go on a trip to Utah on Wed night so hopefully we still can!

I will update you on his status later :) Thanks for the prayers family!!

3 comments:

Nichole Christensen said...

Nooo!!!!! Bentley get better!!! I hope he gets better soon. I just found out Cambrea had her baby in the hospital with pneumonia recently, too. We will keep you guys in our prayers! If you need anything, please let us know!

Westbrook said...

Oh No!! Poor little Bentley!! I hope he gets feeling better, that is so miserable!! Let us know if we can do anything!

Kim Martin said...

Awww <3 I hope he feels better! I am going through the same thing. I got sent home from work on Saturday because I was throwing up... and now I'm sick... definitely not fun!